H.O.P.E Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit 501 (c)(3) organization that provides overnight shelter and home cooked meals during the months of May through November. With the support of professional volunteers we provide health screening, Virginia DMV ID’s, Birth Certificates, G.E.D., Registered Voter, and help felons get their civil rights restored. The foundation made it possible for our guests to obtain their identification cards through the DMV, Birth Certificates, and Social Security card replacements. We also help our patrons get Medicaid/Medicare. SSI Counseling provides support with AA-Alcohol Anonymous, NA-Narcotics Anonymous, and Spiritual Healing.
In addition, we provide Voter Registration & Training to about 26 guests, and already 22 guests have received their Civil Rights restored. Since the program started 9 guests have obtained their own apartment and 2 are working to obtain their GED.
H.O.P.E Summer Shelter is a much needed ministry. We had 86 active volunteers within our first six months of operation.
In 2015, according to HUD an estimated 7,001 people were homeless in Virginia.
In 2016, there were approximately 3,959 homeless individuals and 2,309 homeless families with children.
Virginia saw its population of homeless drop 14.7% from 604 in 2015 to 515 in 2016. There is a coalition of churches that provide transient housing and food to the homeless from November through March. However, no program was provided during the summer months.
How successful is H.O.P.E Foundation, Inc.?
After the first year of operation we were able to help:
– Obtain 86 volunteers
– Register guests to vote
– Restore restoration of our guests civil rights
– Assist in guest and their families placement in permanent homes
– Obtain Virginia Motor Vehicle identification, birth certificates, and social security cards for our guests
– Provide alcohol and narcotics support meetings
– Provide mental and substance abuse counseling
– One guest pursued and achieved obtaining their GED
Our funding comes from donations, sponsors and fundraising events.
In 2018, we are able to provide shelter and warm food to the homeless in the Ocean View location with the help of The Lighthouse Community Church – 9609 9th Bay St., Norfolk, VA.
How can YOU help our program?
There are a few ways you individually, or your business and/or organization, can assist the H.O.P.E Foundation, Inc.
– Provide bus tickets, employment, and/or housing opportunities
– Provide annual donations of money, goods, and/or services
– Provide non-perishable food items
– Volunteer to help with special projects